Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Misery, That Tingling Feeling Inside.

So, as a senior in high school, I don't have much of a "career". Instead, I have two jobs that both involve dealing with some 'amazing' people. When I say amazing, I use the term loosely. Extremely. I don't take my jobs very seriously. Why should I though, I'm in high school. It's not like I'm going to be stuck in this little town for the rest of my life. You can say "You never know!" but if anything happens that I can't leave here. I'll find a way. When in doubt military it out. I'm not trying to start a controversy here by saying the military is bad or anything. I'm enrolled in an ROTC program and I have an extreme amount of respect for every single person in the military service.

I suppose I got a little off track there from my real story. But where I was going with that before was, I don't need to act 115% professional in the work place. I'm a cashier. Not a big deal. It seems like every now and then though. I manage to run into one person that is so insulted by the way they receive there orders or drinks or what ever it is they're getting that they need to make me as miserable as them. Example: At work Saturday, a man requests that he gets a drink holder because he only had one free hand. I tell him let me check if we have any. Go in the back, look. Nothing. Go to my manager, ask. Nothing. So I go back the guy and tell him "I'm sorry sir, but we don't have any right now" Well....he didn't like that too much. He demanded to see my manager and yelled at my manager for the level of "unprofessional" that I had displayed. I'm not too sure what was unprofessional about not having cup holders. But apparently it was

This little encounter lead to my manager telling me to go to the storage room and get more. The look on the customers face told me that he was one sad puppy. I really don't understand how someone can be so miserable about something so little. I offered to hold his drinks until he came back but that wasn't good enough. What drives people to make their misery another persons misery too is beyond me. I don't know a single thing about the man, but he knows enough about me to judge that I'm not worthy of maintaining a good mood for the rest of the day.

Now from you all reading this (or not and pretending to be doing something important), I want to know. Do you have the same problem? Or do you enjoy being the one to ruin the others day. I hear it has quite the satisfying tingling sensation.


A little song to brighten your day if it hasn't been the greatest. I know mine hasn't.

4 comments:

  1. Very relatable. worked in retail for a long time too. Some idiot customers looooove to exploit the "customer is always king" rule and just come by to feel all superior for a second in their life and just be generally pissed of about anything. Luckily not al my managers were such dicks and most even backed me up :) Following for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. customer is always right needs to be overturned one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worked in retail and customer service for many years. I have never been able to understand why people do this. Whenever I go out to lunch or something with my Mum I am mortified by the way she treats the serving staff etc. I'm always polite, corteous, and friendly because I know what it's like to be in their position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean, Hom Dilly. When ever I go to a store or restaurant, even if it's a McDonald's, I'm courteous and polite. Some people just don't understand how long and bad a day in a place like that can be!

    ReplyDelete